Thursday, November 17, 2011

To tractor or not, that is the question

One of the ongoing debates I've had with myself--and with my wife--is how best to run and operate our homestead and future, hopefully, organic gardening business. Having spent a good portion of my childhood on or around farms, I've seen lots of different farming practices and use of equipment, including tractors. I've long had an affinity for small, WWII era tractors, like the old Farmall and Allis Chalmers tractors. I love the sounds, the sizes, and the price.

A couple years ago I was real close to buying a used Kubota tractor. It was small, maybe 22 hp diesel, with 3 pt, 4 wheel drive, etc. I ended up not buying the tractor, and went with my other affinity--the two wheeled tractor. Since I first saw a BCS tractor in action, I knew I was seeing a quality piece of machinery that blended the virtue and exercise of farming with horses with the convenience and power of modern machinery. The BCS (there are a number of 2-wheel tractor companies, mostly from Europe, such as Grillo) was designed and built in Europe and made for the European landscape of small, irregular shape fields, hills, and valleys. They come with a variety of attachments and are PTO driven, not belt.

Looking to next year, I want to greatly expand our garden plots. I say "plots" because while I don't necessarily do small beds, I like to have the gardens divided into smaller areas with designated grass paths, and walkways break things up. This accomplishes a number of things, like giving access to garden tractors, wheelbarrows, etc., plus making it possible to get in and out of the gardens when the ground is wet. Plus, I just think it looks nicer than one lone expansive garden.

The area we are turning in to garden is old stand alfalfa, which means it has not been plowed or tilled in quite a number of years. It's not practical to use the tiller to go in and break up the sod. It could be done, but it would take a long time, be really tiring, and hard on the machine. I had considered buying a small tractor with a plow and plowing it that way, but then I'm left with the tractor being unused much of the time, plus I already have the BCS, so I've decided to get the Berta rotary plow for my BCS. The rotary plow was designed in Europe and leaves the soil in a condition likened to that after plowing and discing, but all in one pass. I've ordered the plow from my local BCS dealer and it should be here any day. I'm hoping to get it over to the garden plots, which I've marked out with the mower, and get them plowed before Thanksgiving. Then they can mellow over winter and be ready for final work up and planting in the spring.

I'll post some pics and video after I've had a chance to use the machine.

2 comments:

  1. What about a draft horse or two?

    Tractors didn't really fully displace draft animals on the farm up until the 1950s, and several studies have shown that they're actually more economic to use than power equipment, unless you assign an hourly rate to yourself for your own work, up until you cross a certain size threshold. Your outfit will not be there, I take it, so, in the abstract, draft power might be your best bet

    Check out Rural Heritage (the magazine) and see what you think.

    Of course, that might not be practical for your outfit. And if you aren't familiar with horses you'd have a steep learning curve that could probably only be overcome by the direct tutelage of somebody who is.

    Just a random thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think farming with horses is something that will always be on my mind and part of the long term conversation I have about our homestead. I'm not a horse man by any means, but I had a fair amount of dealings with horses--cattle horses, not draft horses--during our time on the ranch in Western South Dakota. But, our horses only really got used during the spring for branding and fall for weaning.

    At this point in our process, I don't think farming with horses is an option, as it would still cost quite a bit to get the equipment, build a horse barn, lay out the pastures, and find a way to make hay or buy hay.

    But, one of the reasons we settled in this area is all the Amish in the area, and I think if and when I get to the point of incorporating the work horses or mules, it's nice to know someone close by is there to help get me started.

    Finally, while I very much like the idea of farming with horses, it probably works better for a slightly larger setting--I only have 18 acres, without half tillable--and probably not as well for gardening situations, where you're constantly working up small plots and weeding and working around existing plants.

    Those are good thoughts, but probably for a day a little further down the road. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete