Saturday, November 5, 2011

Next year's gardens




By and large, our land is either woods or old growth alfalfa (meaning some alfalfa, grass, and weeds). This spring we had some strips plowed up and we put potatoes in the strips. The potatoes did very well. We're now getting ready for a new strip for potatoes next year, and we'll grow something else in the potato patch from this year. It's very important to rotate.

Yesterday one of my sons, Jake, came out with me to the land and I used my BCS tractor and bush mower to trim things up and lay out the new garden strips. I like to have grass paths around all the garden plots so you can easily get a garden tractor and trailer around them, so I mowed the outside of the pieces, and some of the dividers. I also tried nocking down some of the cockleburs and other weeds that have overtaken the terrace.

This fall I hope to get some of the new pieces plowed with a tractor and moldboard plow or I might invest in a rotary plow for my BCS and try that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0olJMu_ndGs I also have about 4 acres on our new piece of ground that was in corn this year and I need to get worked up, either this fall or in the spring, so I can seed down to pasture/hay. I think that might be a bit much to try with the BCS, but crazier things have been tried, so you just never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment