Wednesday, March 19, 2014

1 year anniversary musings

It was just over a year ago that we officially moved to our homestead.  So much has happened since then that it's difficult to imagine we've only been here a year.  Of course, we've had the coldest winter in 200 years, so maybe that's why it feels like we've been here so long.

Having spent a year here, I'm surprised at how little I'd change if I could do it over.  However, I really, really wish we had an official mudroom for keeping track of boots, coats, and accessories for 7 people.  Adding a mudroom will be the first order of business.  I also wish we had a basement, although I don't regret the decision to go without.  Besides the extra space, it would make the floors warmer.  Even with an insulated floor, when it was really cold, the floors in the outer reaches of the house remained quite cool, and would condense under objects if the moisture level got too high in the house.

Winter finally feels like it is running its course, even though we had -9 just a week ago.  We've had a few days now where the temps are in the 30's or better and things are finally melting.  We got an ice storm a couple weeks ago and the driveway has bad patches of ice, so I'll be glad to see them melt.

I'm finally about running out of hay.  I'm pretty happy that we were able to put up enough hay for 3 1/2 months of feed for our steer.  With the extra acre of hay I planted this fall, feel that I should comfortable feeding a steer and a milk cow next winter if we decide to go that route.  

Our steer is a fertilizer producing machine.  As part of my chore routine, I use a fork to pick up each dropping and put it on a pile outside the shed.  This will make cleaning out the calf shed much easier this spring.

We now have a dog on the homestead--part border collie, part Australean Shepherd, and a collection of other things.  He's adjusted remarkably well and him and the steer are best friends, as you can see below.

It will soon be time to prune the fruit trees and place and order for more trees.  We have 45 blue berry plants coming, and I'm  hoping to add a few more trees this spring.  The insanely busy time of spring is just around the corner, so I'm trying to enjoy the calm before the storm.

Next spring I'm hoping to tap our trees and make syrup.  Apparently you can use box elder in lieu of maples, so I plan to try that next year.  Box elder trees are impossible to kill.  If you cut off the tree, the stump turns in to a bush of new shoots.  Maybe I'll invest in a wood chipper and trim these off each year and put the wood chips on the compost pile.

Winter 2014
Digging firewood out of snowbanks
The kids, at least, have enjoyed all the snow
I learned where NOT to pile snow along our driveway.  Next winter I'll be ready.
Dead limbs and large branches we gathered from woods last fall and piled.  I leaned them on the south side of the wood pile so they can dry in the nice spring sun.
Hay --> bovine --> compost

Inside the open front, portable cattle shed.
Melting snow for the steer
Our youngest lecturing the new puppy, Willie.
I prefer to use the electric chain saw when I can because it is quieter, lighter, and doesn't leave me smelling like smoke when I'm done.
Willie and Frank getting acquainted.
A family of Amish buying hay
A box elder "stump".  The gift the keeps on giving.

4 comments:

  1. Great to hear this. We are also coming up on one year at our homestead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which part of the country are you from Devin?

      Delete
  2. Fun! (This is Lisa's friend, Elisa.) I think I did just hear that at our nature day maple syruping day about box elders. The little dog is so cute! I was thinking about you guys, wondering how warm you were keeping, but you have that warm stove! Devin is down in Texas. I know his wife also. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today is 35 and sunny and it feels like 55. We're supposed to get above 60 on Sunday and I can hardly believe it. I'm starting to really get the itch to get out in the garden. Pruned the fruit trees, grapes, and some of the blackberries today.

    ReplyDelete