Saturday, July 7, 2012

Water oh Water, where are thou?

At long last, construction is set to begin on our homestead cabin.  The crew came this week to mark the location of the cabin and measure grade.  They are supposed to come back in a couple days and actually begin digging the foundation posts and constructing the deck.  For those of you that are interested, I shot a quick video showing the location of the cabin, in relation to the homestead.

One of the things I address is water, which is the big unknown variable for the project at this point.  There is an existing, although dated and sub-standard, well on the homestead, which draws water through a pump jack, as opposed to a submersible well.  While I was pleasantly surprised to see a large volume of clearish water this week, after having not used it for two years, I've resigned myself to the fact that it's simply not going to be potable in its present state.   However, it is plenty suitable for running the toilet, shower, and washing machine, so I plan to work out some sort of cistern system to hold the well (and rain) water for that use, and then either haul drinking water or use a point source filtration system for the drinking water.  I'm still working out the details of this.

View of site from highway.

Looking east from near the orchard and grape vines.

No comments:

Post a Comment