Saturday, June 2, 2012

Rotary plow, how I do love thee

Anyone that knows me, knows I'm crazy.  And anyone that doesn't know me, can immediately tell I'm crazy by taking one look at my gardens.  This morning I tore up more hay to convert in to gardens.  Don't ask me how we'll keep up with it all, but now is no time to be bothered by the little details.

While we have a tractor--an old 9N Ford--it lacks the power/traction to pull much of a plow, and we don't have a disc, so I've continued doing the heavy soil work with my trusty BCS and rotary plow and tiller.  Admittedly, the rotary plow doesn't chew real deep, but it does a nice job with the soil it does work up, and is about the only way, other than a moldboard plow, to tear up sod.  Try doing it with a traditional tiller and you'll know why.

Today I mulched the new raspberries with hay, tilled the patch where we will put tomatoes, beans, etc., plowed a trench along the melon patch to bury the one side of the plastic, weeded the asparagus, and worked up the ground where the additional grape vines are going to go.  I'm trying to get as much of the soil working done so I can then take them off and turn the BCS around to run my sickle and brush mower for the rest of the summer.  Here's some pictures and video to show the progress.

Mulched potatoes

Before tilling

After tilling

Raspberries without mulch

Raspberries with hay mulch--also protects from sun while newly transplanted

One strip down, one to go with rotary plow

Both strips ready for potatoes
Melon patch with plastic and BCS
Melon patch with plastic

Tilled between asparagus--now need to hand hoe in between stalks





No comments:

Post a Comment